Head of Primary
August 1st 2019
- To lead the Primary School and implement and demonstrate a commitment to developing the Primary school’s philosophy, vision and mission, setting out very high expectations and with a clear focus on student achievement, standards and quality of teaching and learning.
- To liaise and engage with the Head of School and attend and contribute to senior management meetings.
- To work closely and effectively with the Head of School and lead the strategic development of the Primary School and maintain appropriate operational frameworks.
- To lead and engage with the Primary Leadership Team, Primary Grade Coordinators and Subject Coordinators.
- To support the school in the provision of an outstanding Arabic and Islamic Studies programme in line with the UAE National Agenda.
- To actively engage and lead the Primary School through improvement and development planning in line with the Primary School’s aims and objectives alongside subject specialism and KHDA requirements.
- To lead the Primary School through KHDA inspection, IB accreditation process and ongoing quality assurance.
- To motivate and lead the Primary School team in the delivery of best practice to meet the needs of the PYP curriculum, SISD’s students and parents.
- To work in collaboration with the Head of School in the recruitment of Primary Years staff.
- To lead the appraisal/professional development review cycle of Primary Years staff.
- To challenge underperformances at all levels and ensure effective corrective action, support and review.
- To provide induction, support and assessments for new Primary Years teachers.
- To work in collaboration with the Head of Early Years, Head of Languages, Head of Arabic and PYP Coordinator to ensure the delivery of the IB curriculum in the Primary School.
- To provide an excellent role model for staff and students.
- To collaborate with HR in implementing disciplinary and capability proceedings etc.
- To collaborate with staff to ensure SISD achieves a ‘very good’ and ‘outstanding’ rating in the future when inspected by KHDA.
- To lead the planning, monitoring and evaluation of the Primary Years curriculum in conjunction with the PYP Coordinator and Primary Years Grade and Subject coordinators.
- Allocation of staff/rooms/resources in conjunction with the Head of School, Department Heads etc.
- To maintain and support the requirements of the IB PYP curriculum to ensure the Primary School meets the Primary Years curriculum.
- To participate in class observation exercises to monitor the quality of planning, teaching and learning throughout the Primary School
- To oversee the Primary School’s planning, assessment, recording and reporting of student attainment and progress.
- To oversee the monitoring of progress of students in terms of well-being and academic achievement, in consultation with the PYP, Head of Inclusion, Grade and Subject Coordinators
- To ensure parents are kept fully informed with settling in visits and transition arrangements.
- To ensure parents are included in record keeping, monitoring and reviewing the progress of their child to include attendance and punctuality.
- To participate in parent meetings and oversee the processes for communication with parents recognizing the diversity of ethnic backgrounds, cultures and needs.
- To ensure parents can join in regular events.
- To promote equality of opportunity and positive behavior management strategies with students, parents and staff.
- Facilitate the celebration of student and staff successes.
- To be responsible for identifying and dealing with capability and disciplinary issues within the Primary School.
Please click below to download the full description for this role